Status of the move to A42
The short version is "it's happening", slowly. Why slowly? Because you (plural) aren't helping. Let me offer some NicaLiving history.
NL is over 10 years old. It started as a personal experiment -- mostly me talking to myself. It attracted interest because there was new content about Nicaragua. Much of that content and the moderation/organization of the content came from a small group of people (including myself) who volunteered their time. If you have been around here for a few years you know who they are.
Success meant over 100,000 posts. Many times more than I had expected. Some of the success was addressed by re-organizing the photo galleries so you could actually find things. (Thanks Susan.) But, what is needed is a lot of time organizing content (and tossing maybe 80,000 things that just don't belong). That's a lot of work.
While the age of the software and no upgrade path is forcing the change now, there is another reason for A42 rather than a new NL. One of the biggest contributors to the noise on NL has been posts that have little or nothing to do with Nicaragua. I am as guilty as anyone here but I want a solution. I see A42, a site about expatriation but from/to anywhere, as offering a more general place for such posts. Let me offer some examples:
- The "debt crisis" in Argentina alters the prospects of Argentina as an expatriation destination. Understanding what happened, why it happened and what it means is important.
- The "War on Drugs" and the "War on Terror" change the expatriation landscape. As a specific example, the President of Guatemala has suggested legalization of drugs in Guatemala explaining that his country is a victim of drug-related crime that is not caused by drug use in Guatemala but just being on the grower-user supply chain route.
- If your "home country" does something bad to a potential expat destination, that is likely to change whether that would be a good place for you to relocate.
- The development of renewable energy in Chile, the buy-back law in Guatemala, Saudi Arabia's development of solar, China's ban of coal in Beijing, ... all change the future.
- The development of the BRICS bank (and hopefully the Bank of the South) will make huge changes in the international marketplace -- and what "your" money will be worth.
There are also a lot of generic topics discussed on NL. Topics that apply to Nicaragua but equally apply to other places. Thus, it is just more efficient to have them discussed in a world forum rather than a Nicaragua forum. For example, while getting residency in Nicaragua is unique to Nicaragua, how to get paperwork authenticated in the US is (almost) the same no matter where you are headed.
OK, all that said, A42 will succeed if you contribute for some quantity of "you". There isn't anyone making money off A42 (or NL). It is a cooperative volunteer effort. It's up to you.