Motorcycle License

I´ve been going through all the old post but was wondering if there is any new information. I have a US license with out a motorcycle endorsement. I would like to purchase a motorcycle here. I know ppl who drive motos on US licenses with out endorsements for motos and just BS the cops. Not sure if I wanna take the risk of doing that. Some of the post were really old and just wanna check if there is any new info. Do I have to take a test? Is there a way around it? Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.


Anyone following along on NL adventures is aware of how it works is not necessarily the same as how it is supposed to work. In my case, I got a driver's license less than 24 hours after I moved here thanks to the work of a pushy friend. She just knew all the right things to say. It was based on my CR license and, as I didn't have a motorcycle endorsement in CR, I didn't get one here.

I bought a motorcycle (and, yes, registered it) and wanted to get the motorcycle license. To get it, I was told I needed to spend nine hours in a class that Transito gave. That didn't appeal and I kept putting it off. In the mean time, I did get pulled over for a typical road check: circulación, insurance, license. I handed the Transito the documents and was preparing my "motorcycle endorsement? What's that?" act. He wrote down my name and the numbers from the three documents on his form and handed everything back to me.

That's my reality. Good or bad, it is my reality. That said, my advice is that if you live here, get a cédula. If you are going to drive a vehicle of type X, get a license to drive it. In general, play by the rules. In the long run, it will be a win.

Change to requiring a cedula is recent

One guy here had been riding a motorcycle on a Nicaraguan license or provisional Nicaraguan license for several years and went to renew when his application for residency was in progress and got denied a new license. Once he had the residency card, it was okay.

Legal Spanish is generally a mess of cognates and doesn't require more than a minimum of Spanish grammar to understand the gist of. Checking the recent law is fairly easy. Bureaucratic Spanish seems to be far better written than US bureaucratic English, too.

Rebecca Brown

Unconfirmed rule on less than a 125cc moto

If you are a national or have a residency, you can drive a 125cc or less on a car license.

I don't see the difference, a 125cc is just as dangerous as a 150cc but other countries do this too.

I would read this link


If, when it comes to getting a Nica licence, it IS important that you have a motorbike endorsement, it follows then, that you can only drive or ride here what you are qualified and licensed to in the US on that US licence.

That is why they want this when you switch licenses for a Nica one:

...."Present certification from your Embassy of the type of license that you own and the type of vehicle that you can drive with it".

P.S. The Embassy info is a little wrong in that you need a residency to get a Nica license, passport is no good, see this link:

Like all things here and on here, someone will say its not important but when you are in Jail because you ran over a kid, not having a motorbike license could become a huge issue.

If you don't have a Nica Licence, I assume you may not have Residency Card, in which case you would not be able to register a motorbike anyway (according to current law).

Motos are a problem here;

Thanks for info

Thanks for info Juanno.....So, since I dont have a cedula I can´t drive a moto but I can drive a car. My only option if I wanted to drive a moto here (because cheaper than buying a truck) is to return to US and get an endorsement. OK thanks again

Whatever you own, my reading of the law on the link

...that Juanno gave is that you'll have to have a cedula for registering a vehicle, too. If you work for a company or NGO here, it seems like you could get a cedula (yeah, it takes a while, up to six months in some cases), take a class in motorcycle operation that would qualify you for a motorcycle endorsement, and buy the bike here without the falderal of having to register the bike as property of a Nicaraguan corporation (someone here without a residency cedula has done that).

Rebecca Brown