Applying for a cédula

I'm a retired American farmer who would like to obtain permanent residency, el cédula, plus maybe a few hectares of land in northern Nica. How daunting is the immigration paperwork, starting with the US Consulate in Miami, where there is mention of 'General Authentication Certificates', notorizing and translating the standard forms of birth certificate, criminal record, marriage license, and health certificate. And did another Post say that the background record had to be notorized at a US state attorney's office plus at a local police station? Then there is something called the 'Apostle', which seems to be a step up from a simple certification? Then in Managua I take all that stuff [plus a return plane ticket?], copied 3 times, to Immigration, Intur, and the US Embassy and apply for a the carta de baja? But I can only apply for a one-year card for the next 3 years? It would seem like a poor country heavily in debt would make it easier for foreigners to move to.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Mike G. That is exactly what

Mike G. That is exactly what I did.After done with the paperwork you go to inmigration and pay for your "pensionado retirado)cedula (about $150.00)Then a cedula is isued fo you for 5 years that should be your "National Id" you will have to use it there when you pay with credit card,deposit money into your own account (wich is stupid)etc.Also if you dont have that cedula, when you leave Nica with your US pssaport they charge you all the time you where there, not if you present you "cedula" works as a green card in usa.

You DO NOT need an attorney to get residency

It took me less than 90 days to get my residincy and also less than $200.

I also did not need to purchase or show any return trip ticket, although that may have change. If you have a freind that knows Managua, speaks Spanish, and has a few hours here and there, it can be done all on your own for alot less money.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns." --Mario Puzo

You dont need an attorney

I dont know what kind of residency you have.I am a "Pensionado Jubilado Extranjero"Means foreign retired.I applay under the Decreto 628 and thanks to the services of a lawyer it was resolved within 3 days, you have to bring paperwork as you birth certificate, police record and health clearence from your country or origin.I paid an attorney because i hate lines, and delays. When I was going to register my vehicle, 3 times the computer system was down and I have to return 3 times plus the customary blockouts make you to waste a lot of time....but if you enjoy that; go for it. All those papers should be authenticated by a Nicaraguan consulate and after that confirmed by the Nicaraguan Cancilleria.Y respect your opinion suggestions but that is the way the law is in Nicaragua. Regarding lawyers, I respect also your opinion but I dont make comments about.

Not my opinion...

Mario Puzo's opinion.

I found that quote on a web page full of similar opionions. I think it may be a common opinion.

Paul Services

Same here.I highly recommend Paul for a safe and faster service. I am very satisfied with his services Jorge

Steps to get the Residency as retire (law 628).


In Nicaragua and any other country you must follow several steps in order to get your residency, however if you are a retired person In Nicaragua you will have some advantage, (send me an email and I will send you the law).

It is mandatory to prove to the government you have the income to apply to the Residency and you can submit your case to INTUR, and if you have your papers in order, you are not going to have any problem.

I will be pleased to assist to you in this matter and to check the property in the north of Nicaragua.

For reference from me, in the web, you can check:

Paul Tiffer Rodríguez Abogado y Notario Público Tiffer & Asociados Hospital Militar 1 Cuadra al Lago 1 Cuadra Abajo Teléfonos: 2548142 - 2668622 Celular: 8841652 Managua, Nicaragua

And Paul has done a fine job..

on our residencies ,help with the land purchase, title insurance, vehicle purchase and now my insurance too. All that and he helps with my bad Spanish too :)

I highly recommend his services.

-Doug ©

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

Applying for Cedula

There is a process to obtain your Nicaragua residency. I you are paning to live there as a retired person you should apply to INTUR (Instituto de Turismo). They have a page in the Internet. Also you may look about in the internet page of ' Consulado de Nicaragua en Miami.

It is not as daunting as it may seem...

I have my residency and can tell you that I did NOT need to have anything notarized stateside (except the record) NOR visit (ever) any consulate stateside (At least I didn't have to) the rules may state differently, but that is my experience. Never visited consulate in US and have brought pets, large shipments, etc...

You will need to have your record and birth certificate translated (once you arrive) and then you will have that document notarized in Managua. Your birth certificate etc., can be "authenticated" in Managua at the US Embassy (but bring it Notarized and just have it translated, notarized and then authenticated).

Get your certificate of Salud from a local Doctor, no need to translate, or bring one, no big deal, but will need to be translated and notarized. In my case, I needed to show the paperwork en tramite (in process) for the business I was establishing. If you are a retiree, you probably need to show proof of income and will maybe need to have that notarized and translated with an attorney in Managua (see below). You will then be directed to the Cancelerilla for a stamp.

There are a million immigration attorneys in front of Immigration in Managua that can help you for a reasonable fee. It can't hurt to have all your documents notarized stateside, but will need to have them "authenticated " or notarized again in Nicaragua. Get someone local to help you.

Disclaimer-This is my personal experience, yours may vary. Do your research.

Start here

The HowTo page here has a lot of useful on-site links including the Residency game and buying property.


"It would seem like a poor country heavily in debt would make it easier for foreigners to move to."

You said a mouthful there, you are right you would think it would be easier. I am sure that In Miami you can find someone to help with the process although I have not heard of anyone. Might try a newspaper in Nica & Miami.

It has become more difficult in the last year than in the past as far as the paperwork, plenty of info about it on this site & reports from those who have done or are in the process of doing it.


Try Dr. Paul TifferPaul Tiffer Abogado y Notario Público Tiffer & Asociados Reparto Bolonia Hospital Militar 1c. al lago, 1c. abajo Cel.: 8841652; Tel.: 2668622 Managua, Nicaragua E-mail: He is an sponsor for this page see at your left. You will not regret it.

could it be...

Could it be that Nicas are finally waking up as to letting the place get overrun??.

As for buc..whatever applying for a cedula



apply until you lived here for at least a little while. Another country may be better suited for you.

You didn't answer the question, Jon....

Why should he not apply for one? Is that YOUR business?

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." -Clarence Darrow

Why not?

Do you have one?

Not that it is any of your business

but yes I do and I have a passport to match.


As a California resident applying for a Nica residency, my nicaraguan attorney advised me on all necessary documents. I had to have them notarized, some with a county seal and then taken to the Los Angeles Nicaraguan Consulate to have them authorized/stamped which cost me $35.00 per was approximately $200. I then sent them to the attorney's office in Florida which was then forwarded to Nicaragua to be translated into Spanish. I guess the bottom line is some states have different rules and regs to follow. In my case, it cost me, but I got it done as simply as possible with no problems.